Subject: [cbru-all] Please note this free summer school on linguistics
From: Minna Huotilainen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 13:31:29 +0300

This summer school on functional linguistics is free of charge, also board 
is free, you pay only your own travel.

:: Minna

----- Edelleenlähetetty viesti lähettäjältä Ulla Vanhatalo 
<[email-masked]> -----
    Päiväys: Tue, 13 May 2008 13:26:35 +0300
    Lähettäjä:Ulla Vanhatalo <[email-masked]>

Below please find a description of the PhD-course Summer School in 
Functional Linguistics, August 19-22, 2008. 
Link to our website with course description, programme and registration: 
http://english.gradeast.dk/courses/fl_summerschool/

Katrine Reiff Sano

Administrator

Graduate School East in Linguistics

University of Copenhagen

Njalsgade 136

DK-2300 København S

Tel.: +45 3532 8517

[email-masked]

www.gradeast.dk

Summer School in Functional Linguistics, University of Copenhagen
19-22 August, 2008

Venue: University of Copenhagen 

Organizer: Graduate School East 

Application for participation: Before June 1st, 2008. Please fill out the 
registration form on this website or send it to GradEast secretary Katrine 
Reiff Sano at [email-masked]. Participants should include a one page 
abstract of their project.  I nformation about admittance will be sent out 
to applicants shortly after June 15th, 2008. 

Course fee
Participation is free of charge. GradEast will pay for board and lodging. 
However, participants will have to cover their travel costs. 

Course certificate
A course certificate will be issued upon completion of the course, based 
on 80% participation. 

Course description
The Summer School provides an introduction to prevailing theories within 
functional linguistics and will illustrate ways in which the theories may 
be applied on the one hand to linguistic categories (i.e. providing intra-
linguistic explanations) and on the other to the way language interacts 
with context (i.e. providing extra-linguistic explanations). The 
frameworks to be presented and discussed are Systemic Functional 
Linguististics (SFL), Functional Discourse Grammar (FDG) and Danish 
Functional Linguistics (DFL). The participating research students will 
also have the opportunity to discuss their own projects in relation to 
functional paradigms. 

Frameworks and applications will be presented by:
James Martin (SFL)
Sue  Hood (SFL)
Carl Bache (SFL)
Kees Hengeveld (FDG)
Jan Rijkhoff (FDG)
Peter Harder (DFL)
Jens Nørgård-Sørensen (DFL)
Kasper Boye (DFL)
Chris Butler (comparing functional frameworks)
Frederick Newmeyer (comparing functional and formal approaches) 

************************************************
Ulla Vanhatalo
PhD, Coordinator
LANGNET, the Finnish Graduate School in Language Studies
http://www.joensuu.fi/fld/langnet

Department of General Linguistics
University of Helsinki
P.O. Box 9 (Siltavuorenpenger 20 A, office 329)
00014 University of Helsinki
[email-masked]
+358-(0)9-19129301, +358

----- Edelleenlähetetty viesti päättyy -----

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\ Minna Huotilainen              tel.+358-40-5608304 /
/ researcher, Ph.D., Doc.        fax.+358-9-19129456 \
\ Braintuning project             Dept.of Psychology /
/ Cognitive Brain Research Unit            P.O.Box 9 \
\ 00014 University of Helsinki               Finland /
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\