From: "Henriett Griecs" <[email-masked]>
To: ...
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:15:32 +0200

Subject: invitation to public lecture
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

CENTRAL EUROPEAN UNIVERSITY
DEPARTMENT OF GENDER STUDIES

Presents a Public Lecture by

David Weberman
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy
Georgia State University, Atlanta, Georgia

"Is Substantive Philosophy of History a Legitimate Enterprise?"

This paper revisits a distinction made by philosophers in the mid-20th
century between analytic and substantive philosophy of history. While
the former deals with the writing of history, the substantive enterprise
concerns history itself, its larger trends and patterns. Many
philosophers argued that substantive philosophy of history was
speculative and therefore illegitimate at worst or unphilosophical at
best. More recently, post-modernists have argued that historical
meta-narratives are or should be a thing of the past. The lecturer
argues against both judgments first by questioning underlying
presuppositions about the nature of philosophy and second by
disambiguating the notion of a meta-narrative. Citing examples such as
Heidegger, the Frankfurt School and Fukuyama, he suggests a number of
substantive historical  questions that deserve philosophical attention.

3:00 p.m., Friday, July 2, 2004
Popper Room

David Weberman is Associate Professor of Philosophy at Georgia State
University. He earned degrees at University of Munich, Germany and
Columbia University. He has taught at Columbia, New York University, and
University of Wisconsin-Madison. He held a fellowship at Harvard Law
School. He has published a book, Historische Objektivitaet, as well as
numerous articles on 20th century European philosophy and other topics.
He is currently working on a theory of interpretation.

For more information
please contact Henriett Griecs
at 327 3034 or [email-masked]